At times government documents may not be easily accessible to the public. Included below are several “calculators” provided by the United States Environmental Protection Agency for determining hardness-dependent aquatic life criteria for selective metals:
- Great Lakes Initiative – Calculated Values for Aquatic Life Hardness-Dependent Criteria
- This spreadsheet was provided by EPA-Region 5 via email to Deer Tail Press in March 2017. It pertains to EPA’s Great Lakes Initiative.
- For more information about the Great Lakes Initiative see “About the Great Lakes Initiative” at https://www.epa.gov/gliclearinghouse/about-great-lakes-initiative and “40 CFR Parts 9, 122, 123, 131, and 132 (7-1-13 Edition)” at https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2013-title40-vol23/pdf/CFR-2013-title40-vol23.pdf.
- EPA Aquatic Life Criteria – Calculator for Hardness-Dependent Criteria
- This calculator was provided by EPA-Region 5 via email to Deer Tail Press in April 2017. It pertains to EPA’s Aquatic Life Criteria document. The calculator dates back to 2008 and is no longer current for cadmium and copper. As of April 2017, however, an updated calculator does not appear to be available from the Agency.
- For more information about EPA’s aquatic life criteria see National Recommended Water Quality Criteria – Aquatic Life Criteria Table (last updated March 30, 2017) at https://www.epa.gov/wqc/national-recommended-water-quality-criteria-aquatic-life-criteria-table#table.